WOMENPRIESTS.ORG wholeheartedly supports Father Roy Bourgeois’s stand for women’s ordination. And we are deeply, deeply saddened by Maryknoll’s threats to dismiss him on account of it.
The Case for Women’s Ordination
What Is the Grave Scandal
- the international community of Catholic faithful is officially forbidden from even discussing women’s ordination; and
- in the twenty-first century, women are still excluded from sacramental ministry in the Catholic Church.
There is absolutely no reason to support the continuing exclusion of women from priesthood. Anyone who denigrates Father Bourgeois on account of his witness for women’s ordination denigrates one of the channels through which truth is struggling to emerge. Canon law 212§3 provides that:
the Christian faithful have the right and even at times a duty to manifest to the sacred pastors their opinion on matters which pertain to the good of the Church, and they have a right to make their opinion known to the other Christian faithful, with due regard for the integrity of faith and morals and reverence towards their pastors, and with consideration for the common good and dignity of persons.
- the suppression of lay authority in the Church;
- the suppression of free speech for theologians and experts and people like Fr. Roy;
- the suppression of the rights of Bishops’ Conferences; and
- the appointment of party line Bishops.
WOMENPRIESTS.ORG Stands in Solidarity with Father Roy
womenpriests.org stands in solidarity with Father Roy and pray for him, the faithful, our leaders and for the emergence of truth. ‘A custom without truth is merely ancient error’ - St. Cyprian.